In 2015, the Spirit Foundation held it’s first “Shake It for A Cure” Zumbathon. This fundraising activity is aimed to support cervical cancer educational programs such as “Con Amor Aprendemos, With Love We Learn” and towards providing free cervical cancer screening and treatment to uninsured women in Greater Atlanta.
Come join us in this high-energy, fun, Latin dance-based, calorie burning, cardio workout and help raise funds to support HPV screening and Cervical cancer health care and awareness.
There will be multiple Zumba instructors throughout the morning to keep the energy flowing and the vibe fresh.
We need your support. Come and stay the whole morning or just for a set or two. The choice is yours — you will have fun either way.
The cost is $20 and supports HPV and cervical cancer screening in Georgia.
Register on eventbrite at either:
if typing (no https, http, nor www — also notice it is bit dot ly) bit.ly/Zumbathon2020
In partnership with Mercy Care Atlanta – Chamblee Clinic (DeKalb County)
Funding raised by the 2020 “Shake It for a Cure” Zumbathon will go towards providing free colposcopy services for patients through the Mercy Care Chamblee Clinic in DeKalb County. Additional funding and resources raised by the Spirit Foundation will be used to:
- Donate equipment to expand cervical cancer screening, detection, and treatment in the Mercy Care System
- Contribute healthcare providers to perform the procedures to treat the patients
- The Spirit Foundation’s mission is to increase awareness of HPV and to provide clinical services for the detection & prevention of cervical cancer in Georgia and around the world. Cervical cancer is caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). In the US, 75 million people are infected with HPV. For most people who are infected, the body’s immune system will clear the virus but a subset will develop cancer. Approximately 34,000 people develop HPV related cancers annually and 14,000 develop cervical cancer each year.
- January is Cervical Cancer Awareness Month, and the Spirit Foundation plans to host a “Shake It for a Cure” Zumbathon led by certified Zumba instructors this January 25th, 2020. The goal of the Zumbathon is to galvanize community involvement, increase awareness of HPV and cervical cancer and link people in the local Atlanta community to valuable information and resources from our sponsors. The proceeds from the “Shake It for a Cure” Zumbathon are used to provide free cervical cancer screens, preventive services and treatment to the homeless, uninsured and our partners providing care to those in need of cervical cancer screening. Additionally, proceeds will go to help our educational programs in Latin America, Haiti, Africa, and local area high schools.
- Our next Zumbathon on January 25, 2020 at DoubleTree Atlanta-Northlake. Get ready for an even more exciting Spirit Foundation event to dance, sweat, and “Shake it for a Cure!”
- Come try this high-energy, fun, latin-based dance, calorie burning, cardio work out with family and friends and help raise funds to support HPV Screening and cervical cancer health care and awareness.
When: Saturday, January 25th 2020
Time: 9:00AM – 12:00 PM
Location: The DoubleTree Atlanta-Northlake
4156 LaVista Road
Tucker, GA 30084